Over the past two years, there has been a rise in the creation of small businesses. The majority of them were created due to layoffs from the pandemic. Others started as a side job and a way to make extra income. Regardless of why the business was created, I believe it is super important to support small businesses as much as possible.
Why it’s important.
The business owners work super hard.
- For most small business owners, it is a one-person show. Unless they have the budget to hire a small team to help. It’s most likely they are working as much as possible to keep their business running steady and to keep up with competitors.
They are passionate about the products they create
- There is an important message behind the product behind many small businesses, whether it’s jewelry, clothing, glassware, or pretty much anything.
Each business is unique
- Sure, there are many small businesses now that sell coffee cups or jewelry. But each company has its unique style and message.
How to support small businesses
Now you have an understanding of why it’s important, and I know there are probably at least ten more reasons I missed as to why it is essential. But, if you are unsure how you can support small businesses, here are some ways;
Buying the products
- This is the obvious one. If you like a product from a small business, and you can afford it. Buy it!
Sharing and Reccomending
- If you like the product, tell people about it, whether it be a quick Instagram story or telling your friends and family. Referrals and word of mouth is a great way to spread awareness about a small business. For example, I recently bought some cute coffee cups from a small business. I loved them, so I posted a picture and tagged them on my Instagram Story. As a result, I had some people reach out and ask where I had gotten the cups. Plus, the owner reached out and was so happy that I had recommended their business.
Boost their social media presence
- Times are tough, and sometimes we do not have the extra money to buy from small businesses. But an easy and free way to help small businesses is to help boost their social media presence. It’s as easy as liking, sharing, commenting, or even talking about them on your blog.
Where to find small businesses
Thanks to social media, small businesses are easier to find these days. I have found most of the small companies I shop at are Instagram and Tik Tok, and of course, Etsy.
However, small businesses do not have to be online only. Other small businesses you can support include:
- Local shops in your town
- Coffee shops
- Local Restaurants
- The Farmers Market
- And so many more places
Honestly, I probably forgot so many reasons as to why it is important to shop small. I hope this inspires you to shop more local and small businesses this holiday season. You can find some great gems and gifts from these shops!
If you have any small businesses you would like to recommend in the comments, please do!
Thanks for reading!